Albuquerque Electrical – Top Home Electrical Dangers You Need to Know
Albuquerque Electrical – Top Home Electrical Dangers You Need to Know

You cannot live without electricity. However, electricity supply to your home can lead you to dangerous situations as well. As a homeowner, it is important for you to have a clear idea on such common electrical dangers. It will help you to keep disasters away from happening at home. Below mentioned are few such electrical hazards you should be familiar with.

Having worn out extension cords

When we cannot reach the outlet, we use extension cords. However, the wires of these extension cords wear out along with time. Damaged and exposed extension code wires can lead you to the risk of getting electric shocks. This is why you should discard such extension cords as soon as you spot them.

Tripping GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter)

The Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter is a special electrical outlet that you can find in the bathrooms and kitchen of your house. It has to be placed within six feet from a source of water. The role of this outlet is to help you stay away from getting electrocuted when your plugged in appliances come in contact with water. That’s why you should never trip them.

Short-circuiting a damaged breaker panel

When there is a damage in the breaker panel, electricity supply to your entire house will shut off. However, you should never attempt to short it and get electricity. Make sure that you fix the breaker panel properly.

Ignoring exposed wires

It is a good idea to take a look around the house and see whether you can see any exposed wires. For example, rodents like rats can chew on wires and expose them. If you find such cracked or split wires, you need to replace them immediately. This will help you to avoid the risk of a house fire.

Having light bulbs with incorrect wattage

When you are getting light bulbs, you need to make sure that they are of the right wattage. Otherwise, the light bulbs will overheat and catch a fire. If you have a light fixture with many wires, you should check all of them and see if they have the same wattage. Maintaining consistency can help you to avoid fire hazards.

Ignoring warm outlet faceplates

When you notice abnormal hotness after touching an outlet faceplate, you need to understand that the electrical load operating on it is high. This can lead you to a fire hazard as well. This is where you need toc contact an electrician and manage the electrical load effectively.

Having wobbly ceiling fans

Ceiling fans tend to wobble along with time. Such an unbalanced fan can loosen its electrical connection to the electrical box. This would fray interior wiring. With unbalanced gravity, the fan could eventually fall on top of someone. It can lead that person to an electrical shock.

Having loose outlets

We often tend to ignore loose outlets. For example, when your vacuum cleaner shuts off suddenly, you just swing the cord and get it running again. However, this practice can lead you to major problems in the future. This is why you must replace such worn out loose outlets.

Final words

It will not be possible for you to address all these issues in your own. Get the help of an expert electrician and you can effectively overcome these electrical dangers at home.

Leave a Comment