It’s easy to overlook the dangers of electrical hazards in your own house since they are so commonplace in our daily lives. However, knowing how to prevent common electrical risks in the place is critical. Electrical fires and electric shocks can be deadly if simple safety precautions are not taken at home.
What Electrical Risks Do You Need to Be Aware of?
In the United States, electrical problems are one of the primary causes of house fires.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, home electrical fires cause an estimated 51,000 fires annually, over 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage. The third-largest cause of house building fires is electrical distribution systems.
Asphyxiation is a far more significant threat than burns in a house fire started by shoddy electrical safety practices. Smoke inhalation is the leading cause of fatalities in home fires.
- The second most common outcome of an electrical shock in the home is cardiac arrest and death.
- Distressed nervous
Here are some easy strategies to avoid electrical risks in the house to keep your family and property safe.
Electrocution can occur when electricity and water come into contact. Therefore, electrical appliances should not be exposed to water or moisture.
Before disconnecting or attempting to rescue an electrical device that has fallen into the water while in use, turn off the power at the electrical panel in your house. An appliance expert should also inspect the gadget once it has dried out to ensure it is safe. Never use power tools in wet conditions when working outside the home.
If you have small children, electrical safety outlet covers might help keep them safe at home. These devices prevent children from inserting their fingers or tiny things like pins or paper clips into the outlets, thus reducing the danger of electric shock. However, installing tamper-resistant receptacles (TRR), now mandated by code, is a superior option.
Check the wattage when purchasing light bulbs for your primary lighting fixtures and lamps.
Overloading the wiring with a bulb with a higher wattage than the fixture or lamp’s maximum wattage might result in overheating and fire danger. For example, a 100-watt bulb will pull more electricity via the cables than a light certified for a maximum of 60 watts can safely manage.
To prevent overheating, make sure the bulbs are correctly installed.
It is dangerous to pull an electrical cable.
Pulling a plug out of the wall requires a firm grip on the pin. As the cord wears, the chance of an electrical short circuit, shock, or fire increases.
Overheating or a power surge might cause fire and damage electronics if electrical devices like TVs and laptops are left on while they are not in use. A surge protector can be an excellent tool for protecting electronic devices located in areas with unreliable electricity.
Safety of electrical cords and plugs
It can be dangerous to have electrical cords that:
- Attempt to run across carpets or rugs.
- Take a stroll through the furnishings.
- Have a lot of foot traffic.
- Attached with nails to a wall
- Do a visual inspection of your electrical cords to ensure they aren’t broken or frayed.
- The use of extension cables should be limited to emergencies.
- All frayed or worn-out cables and plugs should be discarded.
- Power cords should not be yanked out of wall sockets. Do not use the line.
According to the Canadian Standards Association, the more significant usage of ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) has resulted in fewer deaths from electric shock.
As soon as these devices identify a discrepancy in the amount of power flowing in and out, they promptly shut off the flow of electricity. In addition, wet spaces, such as kitchens and bathrooms, must have GFCIs installed following the New Mexico Building Code.
When there is a short circuit or an overload, the circuit breakers trip; if this keeps happening, there’s a good chance that something is wrong and might turn into a significant safety hazard.
Circuit breaker tripping can be caused by a variety of things, including:
- defective equipment.
- Faulty electrical system
- damage to the actual circuit breakers.
- Tangled and frayed wires.
There is nothing more dangerous than attempting to save money by performing your electrical repairs.
Do-it-yourself electrical repairs and rewiring are dangerous because of the constant threat of electric shock.
It’s also possible that a fire might start following an amateur electrical job because of issues in the wiring system.
Repairing or upgrading a broken item on your own might be deadly.
Counterfeit products that do not meet electrical safety standards may be highly hazardous. Look for the ETL Listed Mark to ensure that your product is safe.
Checking for Electrical Hazards
For your family’s well-being and the security of your property, an electrical safety inspection and risk assessment is a must if you suspect a problem with your home’s wiring system. Every five years, or more frequently, if your home contains aluminum wiring, you should have an electrical safety evaluation performed.