ADD ON ELECTRIC | 505-804-9534

TAP TO CALL
Home » Electrical Safety Tips to Make Your Home Safe » Electrical Safety Tips to Make Your Albuquerque Home Safe

Electrical Safety Tips to Make Your Albuquerque Home Safe

Electrical Safety Tips to Make Your Albuquerque Home Safe by Add On Electric

Electrically powered appliances, systems, and gadgets are ubiquitous in today’s modern houses; these products constitute the driving force behind daily living. However, many individuals are ignorant of the possible electrical dangers of using these industrious household goods since they are in the home. Electrical Safety Foundation International reports around 75,000 fires caused by electrical sources yearly. It is essential to acquire knowledge of electrical safety to prevent mishaps that may be avoided and to keep yourself and your family safe. The following are eight safety warnings and advice about electrical work.

When it comes to the safety of your children, take preventative measures.

When childproofing a property, it is essential to consider the location of any electrical outlets. Children frequently hurt themselves by inserting their fingers or other potentially harmful things into electrical sockets. To protect young children from potential harm, ensure that all of your electrical outlets are fitted with plastic safety plugs and that your little electrical gadgets are placed out of their reach. It’s also a smart move to start young children learning about safe electric habits as early as possible. When warning their young children not to touch potentially harmful objects, many parents use the phrase “hot.” Sticky notes decorated with illustrations of electrical elements, such as flashes of lightning or glowing lightbulbs, may also be a valuable tool for assisting people in remembering to exercise caution around particular items.

Extension cords should be replaced as soon as possible when they exhibit signs of wear and tear.

Even though we live in an age of wireless technology, we still occasionally need extension cables. Extension cables are subject to the following requirements regarding electrical safety:

  • To avoid tripping over cables, never run them beneath rugs or carpets. Not only does this provide a risk of tripping, but over time, the continual foot activity may also cause the wires to become frayed or snapped. Frayed cables can cause electrical shocks or even flames.
  • Carry out checks regularly. If you find frayed wires in any of your cords, you should not attempt to fix them with tape since this might cause an electrical shock. They should be entirely replaced with new ones.
  • Use only a few plugs in an outlet or overload extension cables with their capacity. This can result in the circuits being overheated, sparking, or even shorting out completely. Gain the knowledge necessary to repair a circuit breaker that keeps tripping.
  • Make sure you choose the appropriate cable for the task. Not all extension cords are made equal regarding the uses and appliances that may be connected to them. Using an extension cable suitable for the activity at hand is essential. For instance, when you go outside, you should be sure only to utilize waterproof extension cables.
  • Never double up. If your chord length is insufficient, you could combine two cords into a single long one. Unfortunately, this can cause both wires to overheat, posing a fire risk in your home.

When the weather is terrible, use caution.

During severe weather, it is critical to observe proper electrical safety procedures inside the home. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) state that during a storm, an electrical charge might come through telephone cables, water pipes, or anything else that is plugged in. If you hear thunder or see lightning in the neighborhood, you should postpone taking that soothing bath until the storm has passed. Items powered by batteries, like your mobile phone and laptop, can still be used. Make sure that they are not plugged in and that they are not charging. 

Upgrade your electrical outlets.

Ground-fault circuit interrupters, often known as GFCIs, are specialized electrical outlets required to be installed in all new homes. These outlets are located in parts of the house that use water.

  • Bathrooms \sKitchens
  • Laundry rooms
  • Yards

Electric shocks can be avoided by installing GFCIs, which turn off the power supply when they detect a current moving through water or even a person. Your older home may not have ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). Investing in them might save you from getting hurt in an accident or having electrical issues in the future. Before installing these outlets, take all of the necessary safety precautions and speak with an electrician with expertise and a license.

When utilizing equipment in the house, always observe proper electrical safety procedures.

It is simple to forget about appliances once they have been plugged in. However, they can potentially be dangerous if they are not cared for correctly. The following is a list of electrical safety advice for appliances:

  • When not in use, small appliances should have their plugs removed. If so, you can reduce the risk of fires caused by electrical surges and save money on your monthly energy bill.
  • Before disconnecting any equipment, be sure they are turned off.
  • To safely disconnect an appliance, you should never pull on the cable. Always make sure you grasp the plug.
  • Never cover lamps with scarves or any other material, and ensure that the wattage of the light bulbs you use is at or below the maximum suggested value. These materials are more likely to catch fire than you may believe, especially when combined with the heat that light bulbs can release.

Take extra precautions while dealing with water and electricity.

It is easy to turn on the trash disposal with wet hands if you are doing it while the sink is in operation. Before switching on the device, ensure your hands are dehydrated to prevent yourself from receiving an electric shock by accident. Never use electrical gadgets, such as a hairdryer, while the tub or sink is full of water. There is an increased potential for significant damage because of the ease with which small equipment might fall in. Remember this well-known information on the safe use of electricity: water should never be put on a fire caused by electricity. This will stoke the fires that are already there. In a crisis, you should always have a fire extinguisher on hand. 

When working with electricity in your yard, you must wear footwear.

Always wear shoes with rubber bottoms if you have to use electricity outside in areas where it might be damp, such as when you are changing the light bulbs in outdoor lighting fixtures, hanging Christmas lights, or cutting trees. Because rubber is an insulating material, it will prevent an electrical current from passing through your soles if you experience an electrical shock. 

Please leave it to the electricians who are trained in that.

Successfully repairing or replacing the wiring in your house involves both knowledge and technical expertise. Even the most fundamental electrical wiring operations may be dangerous. When you need assistance with electrical difficulties and want to reduce the likelihood of electrical accidents occurring in your house, hire a professional contractor.